Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Goodbye Marshall (On Nostalgia)


I have just finally officially finished moving out of my apartment in Marshall, and even though I’m very much happy to leave this town, I can’t help but be somewhat nostalgic about the last 16 months of my life.  I think some level of nostalgia is expected and healthy for any major life change—and this is definitely one. Part of me doubts if I was ever actually called to Marshall; I don't know if I was ever truly happy.  While I will miss many of the youth there, I will not miss the town in general.  Nevertheless, I learned a lot, so overall I know it was a good experience.

Why do we feel nostalgia?  Beats me--put perhaps its an apprehension about the future and thus a preference for the past.  Maybe its just that, as humans, we have trouble letting go or changing, even if the change is for the best.

I don't have a job yet, I'm basically poor, and I'm not sure what I'm doing with my future, but I am happier now than I ever was in Marshall--so, so much for nostalgia, I'm moving forward!

No comments: