Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

If You're Happy and Don't Know Why?

I'm (slowly) reading a book right now called Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships.  It's really excellent and basically details how our emotions and relationships effect us physically and vice versa.

Did you know that by smiling you can actually make yourself happy, and not only that, but when other people see you smile, they are more primed to smile themselves.  It's the same with being crabby, sad, or angry.  Our emotions REALLY are contagious.  It's something called mirror neurons.  We're made to imitate one another to build report and intimacy.

This book is somewhat dense, but still easy to read, and I would suggest it for anyone who is interested in such things.

So my challenge to all of you is to think about how your emotions are effecting other people, and try to smile as often as possible.  And this is coming from a crabby guy ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe it. I know when I am nervous about something like public speaking I will do my best to s mile before and it calms me down and cheers me up a bit. I'd be interested in reading this book.